Talland Tower & Bellringers
Talland Bell Tower
THE 55ft TALLAND BELL TOWER stands in an unusual detatched position, the base being cut into the solid rock of the hillside, and may well be part of the 13th Century Church. There is a light peal of six bells, two new bells being added to the original four during 1914, the Tenor being 7 3/4 cwt.
Just three valid peals have been recorded on the 26th November 1969 (Doubles 6 methods), 26th December 1983 (Plain Bob Minor) & 26th July 2014 to commemorate the 100 years of the major works of 1914.
THE TALLAND BELLRINGERS Although few in number we do work closely with local towers to ring for special occasions. We are always pleased to see anyone who would like to learn to ring bells or visiting ringers at our Tuesday practice night.
Call Viv on Looe (01503) 262457.
Commemorative Peal 23rd August 2016
COOKS MATE BERTRAM PRESTON VAGUE was a Ringer at Talland and mentioned in an entry in the Talland Ringers Handbook in 1911. He was a casualty of the Great War, died on 23rd of August 1916 and is one of the Commonwealth War Graves located at Talland Church. 100 years after his death, on 23rd August 2016, the local band Adrian Bell, Stuart Haywood, Viv Tregellas & Andrew J C Brown rang a special peal of 100 changes in commemoration. At the time Bertram was ringing at Talland there would have been four bells so the peal was rung on just those four.